I am challenging myself to post a photo each day of the year. I am hoping that this challenge will encourage me to keep my eyes open for the wonders around me, document a great year and improve my photography techniques.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5-5-09 Tulip Artists


5-5-09 Tulip Artists, originally uploaded by roswellsgirl.

A longtime tradition at Mount Vernon Highschool is to collect the petals from the lopped tulips to create art. I have seen the fleeting but finished results before, but this was the first time I got to see the artists at work. Yesterday, students went to the tulip fields and collected bags and bags of lopped tulips. Various clubs had created plans for their design. Much like a club would plan for a float in a parade. As the cold wind and rain whipped through, students worked quickly to paint their designs with tulips. Other photos from the event.

Here is an article and video from the Skagit Valley Herald about the event.

2 comments:

  1. Ephemeral art - like ice sculpture here - to be enjoyed in the moment. Thanks for sharing this tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...