I am challenging myself to post a photo each day of the year. I am hoping that this challenge will encourage me to keep my eyes open for the wonders around me, document a great year and improve my photography techniques.

Monday, December 28, 2009

12-28-09 Lunch Time


12-28-09 Lunch Time, originally uploaded by roswellsgirl.

Kind of a gray day here. Decided to go out to one of the known swan haunts to take a few pictures. I am really fascinated with swans. I think that part of it has to do with the fact that I grew up with swans being an ornamental fixture in park ponds. I never really thought of them as wild birds and really never thought of them flying. We have both Arctic and Trumpeter Swans that winter here in our valley. It is fun to see the creatures who look so amazingly graceful when swimming and flying look so ungainly when on land. Flocks of swans fly back and forth over my house daily. They spend the evenings munching in lakes and streams and then fly to the fields for the day. I have even learned the time of day to expect the glorious fly bys. I never take this majestic sight for granted. The sound of the trumpeting as they fly in formation above me stops me in my tracks and has me gazing upward every time.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed viewing your pictures on Plurk. You live in a beautiful part of the United States. I imagine their ungainly state of locomotion on land is what prompted the "ugly duckling" idea. I enjoy watching them also, but our area is not in their flyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...